Hurricane Sandy - Monday - Riding out the storm. . .

Laureen S.
on 10/28/12 8:32 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Good Morning PA. . .

Ok, so yesterday I kept busy cleaning, everything is as ready as can be for the storm but sadly I did some boredom eating. . .  today is a new day and while I will be indoors all day, I am committing to not eating unless it is a mealtime.

Otherwise I am just going to enjoy the extra time off, sure I can find something to keep me busy around this house.  A bazillion channels and nothing that remotely interests me for any length of time. . . 

So what are you doing today?

Be safe and try not to do as I did yesterday. . . 

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 10/28/12 9:28 pm

Good Morning Laureen and PA!!

I am off today as well. I am going to enjoy the electricity while we have it. Play mindless games and FB while checking weather conditions on the news stations. Dee will be home with me as well. I did some cooking ahead yesterday and we got all of our laundry done!! I think I might run the dishwasher again this morning...Unfortunately, Steven has to go into work, but he doesn't have to go far. I am hoping that they might let them go early since if the salesmen aren't selling there isn't anything for him to do!!

Laureen, just dust yourself off and start anew! We are only human and make mistakes. It is recognizing it and fixing it that is the key!!

Hope everyone stays safe and sane during the storm!!

Love, Beth

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 10/29/12 12:47 am

Of course I am watching Sandy closely with all of my PA friends in mind. It's kind of crazy - Mike is hunkering down for a hurricane in PA, while I"m in FL looking out at a clear blue sky. Huh?

I've had my turn though, with Isaac. With the possibility of extended power outages, here are a few tips I learned:

Car full of gas. You may need to start the car to charge your cell phone. Keep electronics at maximum charge as the storm approaches. 

Get some cash in small bills. Cash registers and ATMs won't work without power. 

Food of course. For kids, they emphasized that some "comfort food" is important during an emergency, so it's ok to indulge in a treat or two. For us, be sure you have enough high quality protein sources on hand. Goes without saying. 

More water than you think you'll need. Fill your tub so you have water to flush the toilet. I filled all of my large cooking pots, pitchers, etc. as well - the prospect of more than a day or two withou****er is serious business. 

If you dont have a gas stove or gas grill, get some charcoal for the grill or a camp stove with propane. (Some neighborhoods back in Michigan had a great bbq during a post storm power failure when I lived there - might as well make the best of it and save what's in the freezer!)

Speaking of the freezer, fill it with ice (bags of ice or frozen gallon jugs). It will stay colder longer. 

Radio Shack sells emergency radios that run on battery or "crank" power to keep you in touch with NOAA. 

Flashlights, lanterns, and batteries. 

Don't forget enough food and water for pets. 

A stack of books or those magazines you havent gotten around to for a while. 

Stay safe and ride it out my friends!

IdaMae D.
on 10/29/12 1:16 am - Philadelphia, PA

Good Morning PA!

We are ready for whatever happens.

All our supplies are ready, have the mops and shop vac ready in case the basement begins flooding.  This is the first big storm since last year when we thought our foundation was going to give way - we shall see if the work we had done in the yard to handle this type of water will work or fail.

Our new kitty is doing well. He's quarantined in a room in the basement by himself.  Gene and I go out and spend a lot of time with him.  He seems to be starting to feel better, he's playing with his new toys and loves snuggling up in our arms purring and being petted.

I think we might have a name for him Ez Lovebug - Ez for short.  He is so easy to love and snuggle with.  Hider does not know he is here yet.  When we have to leave him he wants to follow us through the door now.   He can't until he sees the vet on Nov 5th.  As long as all his open wounds are healed he'll stay at the vet to be fixed that day.  So far the wounds are looking good.  I am very happy he found Gene on Friday - poor kitty would not have survived this nasty weather we are having.  God works in mysterious ways :-)

Prayers going out to all today especially to all the emergency personnel that are out there working and rescuing...

Ida

IdaMae

Patricia R.
on 10/29/12 6:02 am - Perry, MI

Hi Ida,

When I owned two cats, they were both rescues from the street.  One I got had an open wound from a maggot that had to be excised from below her eye.  The other was only four weeks old, barely weighed a pound and had to be bottle fed kitten formula and litter trained.  I even had special permission to bring her to school, because she had been rescued by a student in our school, along with the rest of the litter.  Plus, my principal had a cat she kept in the main office.

Good luck.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

IdaMae D.
on 10/29/12 6:09 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hider was a rescue from the street also.  A friend of Gene's found a mama cat that had been thrown out when the neighbor moved, after the kittens were born she was finally able to catch mama and the kittens, Hider was part of that litter.

When I lived in NJ my daughter found a kitten that was about 4 weeks old in the woods we brought him home bottle fed him, he grew up to be a huge bear of a cat....his name was Piney Bear :-)  He has since gone to kitty heaven....

If I could bring all the street cats home I would :-)

IdaMae

Patricia R.
on 10/29/12 6:30 am - Perry, MI

Hey Laureen and PA,

I've been trying to keep busy, while I still have electricity and fresh water.  I've looked up the closest emergency shelter, in case the need arises, and it allows pets too.  I've also checked on both of my sons, and they are safe.  My son in Manhattan went for a run, and said it was crazy.  My son in Pittsburgh is expecting a bad snowstorm.  My daughter has checked on me.  She's in Michigan, so she has little to be concerned about with the hurricane.

I had the TV on NBC 10 most of the day.  I totally understand the frustration of the different governors, mayors and even the president when they are talking about the idiots who ignore evacuation orders, which were all yesterday.  These people are so selfish and they are putting the rescue workers in danger because of it.  I think they should be fined the expense it cost their municipality to save their butts, if they get rescued.

I hope everyone here stays safe and heeds the warnings.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views